Friday, January 26, 2007



See No Evil (2006)

Synopsis: The movie opens with a couple of police officers responding to a call at a run down house. While waiting for backup they hear a scream from inside and rush inside where they are attacked by an axe-wielding maniac. One of the officers is killed and the other looses an arm before shooting and killing the maniac, or so we think. Years later we see that the former police officer now works as a guard at a juvenile detention center. He and another counselor from the detention center have worked out a deal with the local historical society to help restore an old hotel for use as a homeless shelter. So off they go with a busload of delinquents for the weekend. What they don’t know is that the hotel has become the lair for the serial killer who the police officer thought that he killed years ago. Not long after locking themselves in the hotel the killer begins to pick them off one by one.

The Good: So as I sat down to watch this movie I had very little expectations. Honestly I was ready to hate it! Then I actually watched the film and it shocked the hell out of me because I really enjoyed it. The cast isn’t spectacular, but does do a good enough job for a slasher film. What I thought would be the weak link was the wrestler known as Kane as the killer, which actually turned out pretty well. If you follow wrestling at all you know that he is pretty creepy looking guy to begin with and this translates to the screen very well. The story is pretty standard, but wastes no time getting to the killings. Also there is a twist at the end, which is pretty effective if not entirely original. The gore is pretty tame with a few fairly nasty moments (people without eyes freak me out!). They do have some CSI like CGI with kind of irritated me, but I got over it. Most importantly is the direction. The movie moves along briskly and evenly without any real slow spots. The worst thing that a movie like this can do is bore the audience, and this movie isn’t.

The Bad: The CGI in this movie is on par with what you would see on a television show like CSI (as I stated above), which was irritating. Other than that I have no real complaints.

The Score: 3 out of 4.

This is an excellent “throwback” movie. It very much reminded me of the sorts of movies that I watched in the 80s. And best of all it isn’t a remake! There is nothing new here, but it is a fun movie worth watching.

Feel free to contact me at horrorfanreview@aol.com

also check out my reviews at www.bloodtypeonline.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home